[Prophet] prophet mailing list archives on Gmane

Ivan Shmakov ivan at main.uusia.org
Wed Jan 26 12:10:40 EST 2011

 >> I wonder, why isn't there a copy of the mailing list archives on
 >> Gmane [1]?

[…]

 >> It takes virtually no effort to configure mailing list to Gmane and
 >> vice versa forwarding, but, IIUC, it requires an explicit mailing
 >> list's owner action to replicate the messages already posted at
 >> Gmane.

 > [1] http://gmane.org/

 > Actually this would be a fantastic thing for a random community
 > member to do - you just need to enter the request on gmane's site and
 > then provide them with a nicer version of the archives from
 > http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/ prophet/ - I've done this
 > many times for various lists I wanted to access via gmane.

	Well, yes, but there're two gotchas:

	• the mailing list's address at Gmane should be maintained in
	  case the list ever moves to other mailto:; thus, it's better
	  for the list owner (or somebody of the regular members) to be
	  aware of such a forwarding; having a link pointing to the
	  Gmane's version of the archives somewhere on the site would be
	  nice, too;

	• still, I guess it's a more serious point that the version of
	  the archives below pipermail/ is customarily crippled by the
	  Mailman software; I don't quite understand how the MIME
	  (including, in particular, OpenPGP signatures) could be
	  properly restored for the postings; (or perhaps the situation
	  isn't that bad?)

	Otherwise, I'm OK to take the liberty to file the request.

 > Note that adding archives can take a while as gmane admins are
 > usually pretty overworked.

	Indeed.

--
FSF associate member #7257