[rt-announce] RTIR 1.0.4 now available - Fixes XSS vulnerability]

Linda Julien julien at bestpractical.com
Thu Feb 12 15:53:52 EST 2004

I'm pleased to announce that RT for Incident Response 1.0.4 is now
available at:

   http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/release/rtir-1-0-4.tar.gz

This version fixes a cross-site scripting vulnerability reported on 9
February 2004.  This issue, described in ticket #5249, involved the
display of user-entered subject lines as non-escaped html.  The issue
is described in detail here (login as "guest" with password "guest"):

   http://rt3.fsck.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=5249

We strongly encourage all sites currently running RTIR to upgrade to
this release.  Many thanks to Vytautas Krakauskas from LitNET NOC CERT
(vytautas at litnet.lt) for reporting this XSS issue.

This version of RTIR also features significant performance
improvements, and the addition of the requestor in the main page
listing of unlinked incident reports.

Bug fixes include:

- no HTML escaping on pre-populated information for new incidents and
  investigations

- stealing an incident, incident report, investigation, or block
  produces the proper owner for all related tickets

- 'About RTIR' link only appears when the user is inside of RTIR

- The DutyTeam group receives ShowTemplate permissions by default, for
  easier use of the Scripted Action tool.

Best,
Linda Julien
Best Practical