[rt-announce] Security vulnerabilities in RT

Shawn M Moore shawn at bestpractical.com
Thu Jun 15 14:58:24 EDT 2017

We have discovered security vulnerabilities which affect RT 4.0.x, RT
4.2.x, RT 4.4.x, and the RT::Authen::ExternalAuth extension. We are in
the process of public testing of RT versions 4.0.25, 4.2.14, and 4.4.2
which resolve these vulnerabilities. In the meantime we are providing
patches which apply atop all released versions of 4.0, 4.2, and 4.4.
Additionally we are releasing RT::Authen::ExternalAuth 0.27 and
providing a patch for versions 0.09 (released in 2011) and later.

The vulnerabilities addressed by 4.0.25, 4.2.14, 4.4.2, ExternalAuth
0.27 and the below patches include the following:

RT 4.0.0 and above are vulnerable to an information leak of cross-site
request forgery (CSRF) verification tokens if a user visits a specific
URL crafted by an attacker. This vulnerability is assigned
CVE-2017-5943. It was discovered by a third-party security researcher.

RT 4.0.0 and above are vulnerable to a cross-site scripting (XSS) attack
if an attacker uploads a malicious file with a certain content type.
Installations which use the AlwaysDownloadAttachments config setting are
unaffected. This fix addresses all existant and future uploaded
attachments. This vulnerability is assigned CVE-2016-6127. This was
responsibly disclosed to us first by Scott Russo and the GE Application
Security Assessment Team.

One of RT's dependencies, a Perl module named Email::Address, has a
denial of service vulnerability which could induce a denial of service
of RT itself. We recommend administrators install Email::Address version
1.908 or above, though we additionally provide a new workaround within
RT. The Email::Address vulnerability was assigned CVE-2015-7686. This
vulnerability's application to RT was brought to our attention by Pali
Rohár.

RT 4.0.0 and above are vulnerable to timing side-channel attacks for
user passwords. By carefully measuring millions or billions of login
attempts, an attacker could crack a user's password even over the
internet. RT now uses a constant-time comparison algorithm for secrets
to thwart such attacks. This vulnerability is assigned CVE-2017-5361.
This was responsibly disclosed to us by Aaron Kondziela.

RT's ExternalAuth feature is vulnerable to a similar timing side-channel
attack. Both RT 4.0/4.2 with the widely-deployed RT::Authen::ExternalAuth
extension, as well as the core ExternalAuth feature in RT 4.4 are
vulnerable. Installations which don't use ExternalAuth, or which use
ExternalAuth for LDAP/ActiveDirectory authentication, or which use
ExternalAuth for cookie-based authentication, are unaffected. Only
ExternalAuth in DBI (database) mode is vulnerable.

RT 4.0.0 and above are potentially vulnerable to a remote code execution
attack in the dashboard subscription interface. A privileged attacker
can cause unexpected code to be executed through carefully-crafted saved
search names. Though we have not been able to demonstrate an actual
attack owing to other defenses in place, it could be possible. This fix
addresses all existant and future saved searches. This vulnerability is
assigned CVE-2017-5944. It was discovered by an internal security audit.

RT 4.0.0 and above have misleading documentation which could reduce
system security. The RestrictLoginReferrer config setting (which has
security implications) was inconsistent with its implementation, which
checked for a slightly different variable name. RT will now check for the
incorrect name and produce an error message. This was responsibly
disclosed to us by Alex Vandiver.

Patches for all releases of 4.0.x and 4.2.x are available for download
below. Versions of RT older than 4.0.0 are unsupported and do not
receive security patches; please contact sales at bestpractical.com if you
need assistance with an older RT version.

https://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/release/security-2017-06-15.tar.gz
https://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/release/security-2017-06-15.tar.gz.asc

e75c2cd5bb99814d6dad4d865dbee6b93818eb7540a29d21cb19d5e002f96805  security-2017-06-15.tar.gz
9208cd8d79106890a73bfb05b480bf67abb3a1448db96546515103a6c1c75e20  security-2017-06-15.tar.gz.asc

The README in the tarball contains instructions for applying the
patches. If you need help resolving this issue locally, we will provide
discounted pricing for single-incident support; please contact us at
sales at bestpractical.com for more information.