[rt-devel] Linking actions (for 2.0)

Tobias Brox tobiasb at tobiasb.funcom.com
Tue Apr 25 09:25:00 EDT 2000

> I'd argue for a monolithic script. They can always write the big script to
> call subscripts and exec the subscripts.

I think the Scrips system is nice.  Well, it should eventually be extended
to handle shell scripts as well as perl modules.  And the CLI (and the
other UIs) should eventually b extended to be just as flexible as the
library calls themselves.  Anyway, I really doubt something like this can
be ready for 2.0.

I haven't read through Jesse's answer on what the Scrips really are yet -
I hope it's a good enough answer.  Anyway, I'd like the attention to the
design docs that are in the CVS in the rt-1-1 branch; there are some
"definitions" documents there (mostly written by me, but I stole a bit
from you as well). The "subscription-definitons" tells about the Scrip
system.

> Agreed. I think all of the 4 types of links I identifed have been covered.

I also think so :)

> 	kbfaq://kbfaqserver/....
>
> the : will immediately determine that its not a local rt link (they consist
> only of numbers).

I didn't think of this, but it makes sense to let local numbers have a
shorter URI.

> the list is endless. I do think that the URI format can be used to encode
> the proper info. What to do with the info, or how to display it can be
> shifted off to scripts as well:

Indeed; we can make something similar to the Scrips system for use with
the UI.  Anyway, this is a bit far off.  I think I will do it
quick-and-dirty with the few URI types I need as for now.

--
Tobias Brox
aka TobiX