[rt-devel] Re: [rt-users] mail aliases?

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Fri Apr 28 17:45:37 EDT 2000

Hi, I've just deployed RT-1 at our company, and we are following RT-2
with great interest (particularly the Bugzilla integration!).  Great
job with RT-1, it saved me a lot of time!

Should have developer resources free sometime soon to extend RT for our
needs, but seeing RT-2 in CVS gives me hope that we can contribute
features back to the tree rather than RT-1 coding that will be
dead-ended.

> 2. A pretty Web GUI.  This demands designer resources ... from somebody
> that might handle HTML::Mason templates.  Unfortunately my favorite web
> designer is way busy nowadays.  Hm, maybe there are others out there that
> can help?  Anybody?

We do indeed have tech-savvy HTML designers at our company, and
will have a look at this as soon as I get RT-2 checked out and
running!  I was under the impression the RT-2 tree was "broken",
but if it's functional then I'll try and marshall some people and
start chipping in here.  Can't promise though, since the company's
going through a systems restructure in the short term, so everything
is hectic.

> 4. Authentication.  I'd suggest two levels of authentication; one simple
> with passwords sent in cleartext through cookies, and SSL-certificates for
> those that needs higher security.  It should be either site configurable,
> queue configurable or user configurable - for simplicity, select one.  I
> hope Jesse will do something with this?

Don't cookies have an SSL option, that restricts them to only being
sent over an SSL link?  IMP, a PHP-based web client uses this method
to store session information, and it works pretty securely without
the added complication of SSL-Certificate code.

Incidentally, is there any interest in a PHP-based UI to the RT-2
system.  It may be of interest, since PHP4 with PHPLIB provides a very
powerful set of session handling and authorisation frameworks, and makes
it really easy to develop web-user interfaces.  Again, this is
something I want to look at hacking up, but just checking to see if
any duplicate efforts are under way, or any reason not to do so?

Best Regards,
Anil Madhavapeddy