[rt-devel] Re: [rt-users] RT 1.0.3 is out

Blue Lang blue at calico.gator.net
Mon Jun 5 16:11:35 EDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Tobias Brox wrote:

> > fixperms:
> > 	if [ \! -d $(RT_PATH) ] ;
> > 	then
> > 		chown -R $(RTUSER) $(RT_PATH)
> > 		chgrp -R $(RTGROUP) $(RT_PATH)
> > 		chmod 0755 $(RT_PATH)
> > 	fi
>
> I hadn't tested it at all, sorry, my fault.  I added it after somebody
> complained: "what if we set $(RT_PATH) to /usr/local?" - so I changed it
> to only set those permissions if the dir is nonexistant.  Any suggestion
> how this one should look out?

and it's difficult to set perms on something that does not exist. :)

perhaps do not use ch* -R; instead

create rt_path as root
chown and chmod rt_path
su - rtuser -c fire off install script which ->
umasks rtuser (to reflect proper mode)
make ru_path/subdirectories
installs rt files there

that would halt anyone from being able to destroy perms on a system
directory accidentally, unless rtuser happens to be rewt.

i'm going thru majordomo's config to see how they do it, but it's totally
incomprehensible. :P

--
        Blue Lang                              Unix Systems Admin
        QSP, Inc., 3200 Atlantic Ave, Ste 100, Raleigh, NC, 27604