[rt-devel] RT2 and mod_perl

Charlie Brady charlieb at aurema.com
Thu Jun 15 06:52:09 EDT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Tobias Brox wrote (in response to comments from
Duncan McEwan):

> > Our concerns about having to run apache+mod_perl in order to run RT2 are the
> > increased complexity/load for our web server
>
> I don't think the load will be increased, but there are some complexity;
> I have a feeling that debugging will be harder, and that the web server
> will be more fragile.
>
> Though Mason do have some excellent debugging functionality ... which I
> haven't studied too much because I didn't want to fight setting it up
> without mod_perl.

But Duncan went on to say:

> > and that that our request tracker database might then have to be
> > accessible to the uid that the web server runs as.

Which Tobias did not answer. That's too important a question to duck that
way. Unless you run a seperate apache+mod_perl just for RT, then the
database needs to be writable to "www" (or whatever apache runs as), if
you run under mod_perl. At least that's my understanding. Correct me if
I'm wrong.

I'm also quite surprised that you are doing development under 5.6.0. That
doesn't sound like a good way to get something out that will run on the
thousands (millions?) of sites running earlier versions for years to come.

[Disclaimer: of course I have no right to say this, because I'm not doing
the work, and I haven't even been paying attention for months (busy doing
other stuff).]

Charlie Brady
Aurema Pty Ltd
 PO Box 305, Strawberry Hills, NSW 2012, Australia
Email:charlieb at aurema.com, Tel: +61 2 9698 2322, Fax: +61 2 9699 9174
  "I think it would be a good idea." Gandhi, on Western Civilisation.