[rt-devel] Timestamps

Hugues Lafarge Hugues.Lafarge at afp.com
Mon Mar 13 06:13:37 EST 2000

    Tobias> How do we deal with the timestamps from the DB?  I think it would make
    Tobias> sense to abstract it to DBIx::Record to parse the timestamps from the
    Tobias> DB and return timestamps as objects with different access methods.  I
    Tobias> think it would be nice using constructs like
    Tobias> $self->Created->localtime, $self->Created->time,
    Tobias> $self->Created->strftime(..) etc.

    Tobias> There are two reasons for keeping them down at the DBIx::Record level;
    Tobias> the output from the DB might be DBMS-specific (I've seen other DBMS'es
    Tobias> printing it in ISO-format (readable) while Mysql prints it without any
    Tobias> delimiters).  The other reason is that parsing dates from a DB really
    Tobias> isn't RT-specific.

    Tobias> There is a myriad of packages at CPAN related to date and time parsing
    Tobias> - but AFAIK most of them are function oriented, not object oriented
    Tobias> (and I've even experienced that some of them are incompatible due to
    Tobias> namespace conflicts).  Does anybody know of an object oriented package
    Tobias> which can be used?

    Hugues> I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but take a look at
    Hugues> OO-DateTime (author: TOBIX, current: OO-DateTime-0.01.tar.gz).

Oops, after taking a closer look, i realize that this is not a real
module, but just a container to expose what plans the author has in
mind.

Sorry for that.
Might be interesting anyway ...

Hugues Lafarge                    || Email: Hugues.Lafarge at afp.com
Agence France Presse              ||   WWW: http://www.multimania.com/hlafarge
Ingenierie informatique           || Phone: +33 1 40 41 77 15
4 rue de la bourse, 75002 Paris   ||   Fax: +33 1 40 41 79 24