[rt-devel] RT2 progress

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Fri May 12 01:02:32 EDT 2000

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 06:35:12AM +0200, Tobias Brox wrote:
> Jesse is currently dealing with the GUI, so I can't do much there.  As I
> see it, most of the things that remains before we can actually
> start using RT2 here is related to the GUI.

Well, I'm doing some work with the GUI. but not as much as I'd like.
I'm just too damn busy these days. but the ticket display looks a bit
better right now.

> I'm mostly done with my work with the links, except for the user interface
> things.  I'll discuss my thoughts in my next mail.

If I'm correct the API for dealing with sets of links is also
missing.

> The GUI development is totally controlled by Jesse at the moment.
> Jesse; how much work would you suggest that remains?  When he is finished,
> I expect to use some days for debugging his things, adding things he has
> forgotten and add other things that is important here.

If I had a web designer to do the design it would probably be a week of
fulltime hacking to get something reasonably robust. I don't. nor do I have
time to work full time on this right now.

> Jesse has made some very basic authentication.  It seems to work good
> enough as for now.

where for now != production. it checks to see if the password is the same
as the username. this should be pretty trivial to fix.

> The non-GUI-thing we really need before we can try to deploy RT2 here, is
> to fix the date handling!  I had totally forgotten about it!  I'll try to
> deal with that today.
>
> Except for that, there is:
>
> - probably a lot of details
>
> - user information + user prioritying.
>
> Locally, we often have users with different emails.  We need to keep track
> of them, also when they change emails.  We need to store comments about
> them.

Sure. the schema for user comments is there, someone needs to write the
web admin ui for user manipulation

>  Most important; we must be able to rate them!  Good customers
> should get a higher priority than ordinary requestors, and those
> should get a higher priority than those who constantly bother us with
> stupid FAQs.
>

> I'd daresay that this will not be included in the official RT 2.0 release,
> but it will be available as a user contributed patch, and it will be
> included in post-2.0 releases (from now on; contr).

That, in my mind, is fairly useless bloat. you're welcome to spend your
time on it. but I can almost guarantee that it will stay as a contrib. item

> - Admin tools & ACL.
>
> We don't need it locally for some weeks, at least - I handle it through
> SQL as for now.  Anyway, it must come before the official RT 2.0 release.
>
> - Groups
>
> This is essensial for us if an admin tool should be useful. contr.
>
> - "Smart" Next/Prev-links
>
> This is a GUI detail, which probably will have to wait until post-2.0.
> (from now on; post).
>
> - Smart autoreplier
>
> I have described the functionality earlier, and I think this is a good
> thing.  might be contr, might be post.

Post 2.0

> - all other requested nifty features
>
> post, probably :)
>
> Jesse has some RT1 queues at www.fsck.com for RT2 projects, bugs and
> similar.  Anyway, I find it a bit easier to deal with a plain text file,
> so I will store this mail in the TODO file in the CVS. :)

The TODO file should, if anything, be generated from the queues. I really
don't like it having items that aren't tracked in RT in it.