[rt-devel] Reporting Stats and a bug in date display in RT

Rouillard, John RouillardJ at brevard.cc.fl.us
Mon May 15 11:48:52 EDT 2000

Tobias said:
> Then again, you can get it out in seconds easily from the database.  I
> don't think statistical tools should go through the CLIs or
> the API.  It's just no use.

Easily if I know SQL, what if I don't, and don't have the time to learn a
completely new language. The CLI provides a function that return the data
I need in a language I already know, be it shell, perl, tk/tcl, python etc.

I would expect the query tools provided with rt togo directly
to the database, but with potentially multiple database support,
I would think API abstraction would be a good thing (TM).

As far as using the CLI's, I think this must be supported. It took me
30 minutes to wip up the hack I posted rather than trying to learn SQL
and the table layouts etc. Text processing using shell or perl is a no
brainer for most sysadmins while having to get into the internals of
the RT database just to do some simple processing is "no use" in my opinion.

Now if I had a shell script that I could do something like:

  getvals  -format "%{ticket_number} %{created_date} %{resolved_date}"
	-state=resolved -resolved_date > 05/01/00 -resolved_date < 05/15/00

going right to the database then that would be great.

Alternatively some documentation of the SQL and procedures necessary to do
the above (without having to real all of the MySQL documentaion) would also
suffice. But as I said using the CLI may be a hack, but it produces the data
in a form that any sysadmin with some shell programming experience
can use to get the needed reports in as little time as possible.

-- rouilj