[rt-devel] A bit of oracle clue?

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Wed Mar 21 18:56:50 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 04:44:37PM -0700, Robert Tarrall wrote:
> Jesse wrote:
> ->         So I've run into a minor issue with oracle. The following
> -> chunk of SQL is valid on mysql and postgres, but not on oracle.
> -> The oracle docs I have seem to claim that it's kosher.  Anyone have a helpfu
> -> suggestion for how to make oracle happy with this:
> ->
> -> SELECT DISTINCT * from Tablename;
>
> Works fine in Oracle 8i's sqlplus, and with Oraperl.  Maybe the error
> isn't in your syntax, but elsewhere?

Hrm. I've got an 8i (8.1.7) database running.

with a default RT installation, using sqlplus, 'select * from Users;'
gets me a nice set of returned values.

'select distinct * from Users;' gets me:

  select distinct * from Users
                  *
  ERROR at line 1:
  ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes

Does that shed any light on it?

jesse reed vincent -- root at eruditorum.org -- jesse at fsck.com

After all, it's not every day you meet up with an evil power
                                               -M. Bulgakov