[rt-devel] email replies to comments

Marion Hakanson hakanson at cse.ogi.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:37:19 EST 2001

Folks,

One common gotcha we've long had with RT-1.0.x has been that if
a queue member replies via email to an RT-generated comment message,
that email reply ends up going to the queue's return address, which
is usually set to be the email address that accepts all incoming
correspondence.  And thus a reply to a comment gets entered as
an RT "reply" instead of another "comment" -- thus the Requestor
receives an email which should've remained a private comment.

So, and I apologize if this issue has been dealt with already (I didn't
find a discussion of it in a quick scan of the list archives), we'd like
to see each queue have two return addresses:  One for replies, and one
for comments;  And RT2 should issue email messages with the return address
corresponding to the type of event that generated the message.  In other
words, replies/correspondence will look as if they came from the
"correspond" address, and comments will look as if they came from
the "comment" address.

Make sense?

Thanks and regards,

--