[rt-devel] A bit of oracle clue?

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Fri Mar 30 02:40:53 EST 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 05:55:18PM +0200, Marco Nijdam wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> Or do you need a distinct for a join over multiple tables?

Yep. you got it.

> Can't you work around it by sorting the select and removing doubles
> in the Perl code?

Yes. but that's really really ugly. I'd prefer not have to do this,
since it's well, fairly standard SQL and the database is going to be
faster if it's doable, etc. and it just makes everything more complex :/

> In Oracle you can not work with the contents of CLOBS, BLOBS, and for that
> matter the LONG datatype, in queries directly. I'm not sure how the
> Perl module solves this, but in Java or PL/SQL you get a reference to
> the CLOB or BLOB from the select, and do some magic handwaving to
> get the contents of the CLOB/BLOB based on this reference.

Wait. so I can't even search against the contents of a CLOB with a LIKE?

jesse reed vincent -- root at eruditorum.org -- jesse at fsck.com

I have images of Marc in well worn combat fatigues, covered in mud,
sweat and blood, knife in one hand and PSION int he other, being
restrained by several other people, screaming "Let me at it!
Just let me at it!"  Eichin standing calmly by with something
automated, milspec, and likely recoilless.
				-xiphmont on opensource peer review