[rt-devel] three patches and comments...

Alex Krohn alex at gossamer-threads.com
Tue May 8 16:18:42 EDT 2001

Hi Jesse,

> > 1. The install would go a lot smoother if the user must create the
> > database already. We ran into a lot of problems getting all the
> > username/passwords correct. I would recommend just having options for
> > database name, database user and database pass to run as and then create
> > the tables and go. Leave creating the database and setting up db
> > permissions to whoever installed the database server.
>
> In a lot of cases, the folks setting up RT don't have a local DBA.
> In what ways did the auto-creation bite you? With which database?

Well, we were using mysql. We entered all the passwords into the
makefile, both the root one that has access to create databases and
setup users, as well as the one we wanted root to run as. When doing a
'make install', we were suprised to see that it asked for a password
(since we had entered everything).

The password came from one of the mysql tools (specifying -p without
arguments), and it wasn't obvious which one was wanted. The first one
was the root password which I got right. It asked me for a password a
second time which I thought was for the rt2 user and got wrong and it
then choked saying invalid password.

I then had to manually drop the database as the install would fail
saying database already exists.

Hope that helps,

Alex

Alex Krohn                        Email: alex at gossamer-threads.com
Internet Consultant               Phone: (604) 687-5804
http://www.gossamer-threads.com   Fax  : (604) 687-5806