[rt-devel] SourceForge for RT add-ons?

darren chamberlain darren at boston.com
Mon Dec 30 12:09:19 EST 2002

* Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin at yahoo.com> [2002-12-30 10:23]:
> --- darren chamberlain <darren at boston.com> wrote:
> > * Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin at yahoo.com> [2002-12-28 09:38]:
> > > What about opening a new SF.net project, "rt-addons" ?
> >
> > I think this is a good idea.
>
> ok, let's choose the platform.
> I'd vote for SF.net in favor to savannah, because of the reasons:
>
> -- SF is driven by a company which put its whole business model
>    into the project. There's big money, hence more stability.
>
> -- Savannah is driven by (slightly marginal) enthusiasts,
>    on a relatively small server. Hence, less stability, regardless of
>    the FSF philosophy.
>
> -- Savannah supports SSH1 protocol only, and also I suspect less
>    functionality (I didn't compare this yet) than SF.

The lack of ssh2 doesn't bother me (all the hosts I use are basically
ssh1 only), and I haven't explored savannah with an eye towards what is
missing, though nothing stood out as obviously missing.

The fact that there's a company behind SF is kind of immaterial to me --
I *know* that the FSF will be around for a long time, most likely much
longer than SF.

The size of the SF system vs the savannah system, however, is
significant, and I agree with you on that point.

Jesse's objection (SF uses non-free software) still stands, and is not
insignificant, though I personally use SF very often.

All things considered, I will vote for hosting the project on
sourceforge.  I can be contacted offlist for details about my SF
username and such.

> > I think the biggest problem is going to be finding people to
> > administer the project -- it would be unfair to Jesse to simply
> > assume that he will be doing it.  If something like this does get
> > set up, I will be happy to help administer it, or do whatever I can
> > to help.
>
> I'm ready for this. I've been administering two active and another
> couple of inactive project at SF, so this would be quite easy for me.

Same here -- I have several SF projects under my sway (some active, some
not so much), so I am willing and able to Do Stuff.

> Question to Jesse: does this need a separate mailing list, or rt-devel
> is enough?

Since rt-addons are not supported by Best Practical, it seems that a
separate list would be useful.  Some addons might warrant their own
lists (i.e., the stats package), and I would definitely like to see a
list dedicated to CVS commit messages, which shouldn't go to rt-devel
(too special-purpose, doesn't need to be archived).

(darren)

--
People who sacrifice beauty for efficiency get what they deserve.
    -- Tom Robbins