[rt-devel] SourceForge for RT add-ons?

darren chamberlain darren at boston.com
Tue Dec 31 15:15:10 EST 2002

* Bruce Campbell <bruce_campbell at ripe.net> [2002-12-31 14:58]:
> Part of what I'm intending to do with the SF project is to have a similar
> layout to what (I feel) should be in the 3.0 contrib.  Hence, version
> numbers won't be in the path.
>
> Hence, a simplistic layout would be:
>
>       Actions                 # ScripActions
>       Authentication          # added based on the ldap references since
>       CLI                     # CLI utils
>       Conditions (Scrip)      # ScripConditions
>       Conversion              # added based on questions re import utils
>       Core                    # Mods to RT Core
>       Doc                     # added; link to RT/FM
>       Other                   # No category known
>       Packages                # eg, Stats package
>       Web                     # Web page presentation.
>
> And the index.html of each being a collection of current contribs.

This is reasonable.

> The repository as such would be just web pages.  The distribution files
> would be still hosted at www.fsck.com .

The problem with that, which is one of the reasons a different server
was suggested (I believe), is that it isn't "self service", from the
point of view of the developer of each contrib -- everything blocks on
Jesse (or whomever has write access to the appropriate directory on
fsck.com) getting the time to put it up there.  With a CVS repository,
developers can commit on their own schedule; only a Release Technician
can make a release, so there can still be some control by an admin over
what gets officially "blessed" as part of the contribs.

(darren)

--
Your freedom to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose.
    -- Larry Niven