[rt-devel] hacking on rt.

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Feb 8 12:20:48 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:02:02AM +0200, Fabian Ritzmann wrote:
> Two open-source systems you might want to consider:
>
> Aegis: http://aegis.sourceforge.net/
> - Mature, complete configuration management system. Unix only, but WWW
> interface.

*nod* I actually spent a bit of time with aegis a while ago and decided
that its manual was too obtuse and it was too process-bound.  The fact that
it doesn't have a way of allowing remote developers to interact with a
repository without local shell access also bothered me.  But over the past
day or two, I've been re-familiarizing myself with the package and
think I see ways around most of my major issues with a little bit of scripting.

> Subversion: http://subversion.tigris.org/
> - Very interesting architecture, but still pre-alpha.

A friend of mine hacks on subversion. It looks very interesting, but still
isn't quite ready for primetime and it doesn't have one of the two features
that I really really want: the ability to do distributed repositories cleanly,
so I can work on a branch on my laptop (without net) , checking in every time
I hit a micro-milestone and then merge up to the "main" repository when I
finish.

I'm currently leaning toward spending a couple days playing with an aegis
repository and the RT 2.1 codebase. The basic plan would be to leave the
2.0 branch in CVS, but to do new development in the new VCS.  Has anyone
here worked with aegis?

	-j