[rt-devel] [rt-announce] RT CVS commit handler version 1.0

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Jan 29 22:43:24 EST 2002

A while back, I release a preview of the RT CVS commit handler, which allows
you to update RT tickets from your CVS commit messages.  Since that time, this
code has been reworked, debugged and generally cleaned up.

It's currently in use here at Best Practical to log bug fixes with RT when
I commit changes to CVS and seems to be working nicely.  (It also sends all
those nice messages to rt-commit at lists.fsck.com)  With this tool, you can
include statements like the following in your CVS commit messages:

    RT-Ticket: 1234
    RT-Status: stalled
    RT-Owner: steve
    RT-Priority: 99

    We've made our changes to this code. We're now waiting on a new drop of
    the libraries to go forward

The cvs commit handler will notice your commands, update the ticket and record
your log message, along with commands to generate a full diff of the commit
in the ticket noted in the first line.  This has proven to be incredibly useful
here, and I hope that it will prove similarly useful to anyone else using RT
to track bugs and CVS for revision control.

You can get the source from:

	http://fsck.com/pub/rt/contrib/2.0/rt-addons/rt-commit-handler

You'll need to customize the paths inside, make the tool setgid rt and
add some lines to your cvs control files. (perldoc rt-commit-handler for
that info.)

	Thanks,
	Jesse Vincent
	Best Practical Solutions, LLC