[rt-devel] Localization

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Thu Jun 6 22:52:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:49:09AM -0500, Christian Gilmore wrote:
> What in perl-5.6.1 isn't able to support unicode? We've not yet found
> issues, but I'd very much like to hear if there are.

There's no problem per se in 5.6.1 if all the MTAs, lexicon files, and
databases all support utf8 natively.  However, Encode.pm is probably
needed for transparently enabling sending/receiving data in legacy
charsets and maintain unicode internally.

For western languages that need relatively few esoteric unicode conversion
and processing, 5.6.1 + Text::Iconv could handle it pretty well (although
5.6.0 is _seriously_ broken beyond belief).  I think that we should avoid
to burden western-language users with a 5.8 prereq, but in the long term,
core-supported perlio and Encode are probably the way to go.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/