[rt-devel] Site Lib

Bob Apthorpe arclight at jump.net
Wed Jun 12 18:08:27 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 16:51, Michael Grubb wrote:
> Forgive me I know this is off topic, if you like please reply off list.
> As I am not a habitual perl contributor I'm not familiar with the
> easiest/fastest way of generating a Makefile.PL file.
> I would like to adopt this method as we will have to wait until 3.0
> for a "standard" local lib directory.

The process for creating modules is kinda buried or at least it has been
until the last few years.

h2xs -AXn My::Module::Name

will create

My/Module/Name/Name.pm
My/Module/Name/Makefile.PL
My/Module/Name/test.pl
My/Module/Name/Changes
My/Module/Name/MANIFEST

Adjust Name.pm and test.pl as needed and use

perl Makefile.PL
make dist

to tar up the whole mess.

See 'man h2xs' for details; that's the basic process for creating a skeleton
module and packaging it for distribution. I've been meaning to write up the
process of packaging legacy modules but I haven't had the motivation lately...

-- Bob