[rt-devel] Localisation

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Fri Nov 29 01:05:25 EST 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 02:17:26PM +0100, Stefan Seiz wrote:
> If so, i'd need a brief HOW-TO.

... or help writing one? :-)

> My understanding is, that i take lib/RT/I18N/de.po walk through it line by
> line and translate msgid strings from english to msgstr in german.

Correct.

> What's the preferred method to get the de.po file (anon cvs?)?

I use the point releases found at http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/devel/.
http://fsck.com/aegis/aegis.cgi?file@pre+lib/RT/I18N/de.po+project@rt.2.1
is the web-accessible current version.

> In order to get good translations it might be necesary to see how the
> english text-snippets are USED in CONTEXT. is there an easy way to find out
> in what context a particular text-peice is used in RT?

Yes.  Before each msgid, there is typically a line like this:
    #: html/Approvals/Elements/ShowDependency:46

that shows the file and line number this string came from.  If it
contains variables to be interpolated (%1, %2, etc.), there will be an
additional line containing the variable names:

    #. ($link->BaseObj->Id, $link->BaseObj->Subject)

> Who do you talk to for general decissions as for example IF there is decided
> to translate words like "Queue" or "Ticket" or not (i wouldn't do so, but
> Queue for instance is already translated into some weird german word:
> "Stapel" which means something like Stack)?

This I have no idea.

> How do i commit my addidtions/changes?

Send to Jesse directly is the usual way, it seems.

/Autrijus/