[rt-devel] Debugging print statements

Ian Grant Ian.Grant at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 09:31:28 EST 2003

Dear RT types,

I am attempting to create a SearchBuilder driver for Sybase/Microsoft SQL
Server databases. I have some of the basics working but have hit some problems
I could use help with.

The first is that SearchBuilder does SELECTs always using the DISTINCT
keyword. This is a problem because SQL Server will not allow DISTINCT with
large object (type TEXT) fields. (They can be up to 2GB and I suppose the
comparisons could get expensive.)

My question is: Does anyone know, or, failing that, can anyone suggest a way
to find out where the DISTINCT clauses are really necessary?

I have not yet determined whether there is a means of telling SQL Server to
return rows distinct in every column not TEXT type.

Regards
Ian
--
Ian Grant, Computer Lab., William Gates Building, JJ Thomson Ave., Cambridge
Phone: +44 1223 334420