[rt-devel] Re: accent problem in tickets submission by mail

'Louis-David Mitterrand' vindex at apartia.org
Fri Feb 21 11:18:29 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 05:05:03PM +0100, THAUVIN Blaise (Dir. Informatique) wrote:
> RT3 works natively in UTF8 format. All incoming mail (text and
> subject, but not the attachement) is converted from its original code
> (yours is probably iso-8859-1) to utf8 which is a one or two bytes
> format (one for the usual 128 ascii caracters, then 2 for most others)
> that allows representation of all latin caracters, including central
> europe, cyrilic caracters, hebraic caracters, and maybe others
> (asian?) I am not aware of without any convertion. What you see in the
> database is indeed the same word (réponse), but whith a different
> representation. If you use a utf8 compliant text editor, you'll see
> the right symbols.

What I see in the database is 'répons e' (note the spurious space
between s and e) where the actuel subject of the e-mail is "réponse".
However if I send a subject of "reponse" (sans accent) the database
entry does not have the extra space. This happens every time and is
easily reproducible.

> Your navigator and you mailer are able to translate this back if they
> are reasonably recent.

The browser can see the accent fine, but displays the spurious space as
well.

Thanks for your explanation and help, cheers,

ldm at apartia.org