[rt-devel] Re: RT 2.1.56 (wrong charset)

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 17:20:17 EST 2003

--- Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:
> > We're still running 5.6.1.
>
> Can you test it on a 5.8 box?

this will take more time. Maybe I'll be not so much
busy on other high-priority projects as now.

> > I insist that HTML::Entities is doing the wrong things, it's
> > not needed for Latin charsets and blows everything for non-Latin ones.
>
> So. Mason now has pluggable html escaping rules. I'd be thrilled if you
> could hand me the one-line patch that makes it do the right thing.

will look into that. But I think disabling
   default_escape_flags => 'h'
in lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm  would be enough for now.

All major browsers understand raw Unicode in HTML, so you don't need to
change UTF characters into entities.
Raw Latin1 or Cyrillics (or those Asian alphabets) aren't needed to
translate either, you just need
to specify the correct charset in Content-type header.

Sorry, that's only the theory on the weekend. I'll be able to play
with real systems in 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,
Stan