[rt-devel] RT 2.1.63 and rt2-to-rt3 1.0

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Jan 25 04:08:25 EST 2003

In the two weeks since alpha 2, a fair amount of work has gone into
getting the codebase ready for beta. It's very, very close. I'm headed
out of town for a couple days. If I was in fact stuck here in New
England over the weekend, I'd be busy converting fsck.com's RT instance
to the latest 2.1 release, 2.1.63, though I wouldn't recommend that you
run this one in production unless you're very comfortable babysitting
perl code and like to live on the edge.

The past couple days have seen some important bug fixes to ticket
searching and a redone search results page. RT's menuing has been redone
again, but it's not likely that you'll notice in a modern browser. A
nested table structure has been replaced with simple html markup and
CSS, which should render more cleanly, be easier to change and send
fewer bytes over the wire. (And that will be further reduced as we
continue to clean up some of the CSS)

We've done some profiling and performance tweaking. After importing a
15,600 ticket database (perl.org bug database), most page displays
rendered in < 2 seconds, with a significant fraction of them rendering
in under a second. (The host in question is a p3/800 with fairly fast
but not top of the line IDE disks and a gig of ram. It's also serving a
couple dozen websites and about 8  RT2 instances. It's runny Mysql
3.23.54 with InnoDB tables)

Right. Importing. Blaise Thauvin has been very patient as we've worked
out the RT2->RT3 migration tool, which is currently available at:

	http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/devel/rt2-to-rt3.tgz

I know it spews a bunch of "redefined" warnings on import. Don't worry
about it.

RT 2.1.x's internationalization is known to still be somewhat broken on
perl 5.6.1. At this point, if you need RT 2.1 in some language other
than English, we strongly recommend that you consider upgrading to perl
5.8, which has much better support for Unicode and non-US-ASCII
characters.

When I get back to a normal work schedule on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll
be collecting the issues that folks have found in the 2.1.63, bundling
up 2.1.6x and inviting the world to beat on it before I call it RT 3.0
Beta 1.

Please report any weirdnesses you see with this release to
rt-devel at lists.fsck.com

	Best,
	Jesse

--