[rt-devel] RT SOAP and Java interface

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sun Jul 13 01:33:10 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 01:50:54PM +0200, Sebastian Cramer wrote:
> Hello!
> Two questions:
>
> 1.)
> I'd like to build a Java interface for RT3 (since I could use it in a
> small project). I'm looking into interfacing for quite a while now and
> the only feasable way seems to be the rt-soap server.
> I'm having the problem that I can't find a WSDL file for the interface
> and my Perl knowledge is too small to deduce it from the source. A
> couple of weeks ago I saw a short thread regarding just this WSDL file;
> but I missed what happend to it.
> Any help regarding the WSDL or any other way to interface would be
> greatly appreciated. :-)

(as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it's being worked on. I hope to
have time to polish the current state and roll a new release soon. A
WSDL file for the soap server is part of the new work)

> 2.)
> Our client has granted us the right to release the Java interface
> classes resulting form this project to open source. Two (sub-)
> questions: a) Is the RT comunity interested in such classes?

Yes.

b) What  licence would be preferred (I would suggest LGPL)?

I'd recommend something like the MIT / X License or the BSD license with
the advertising clause removed, as it gives parties who are interested
in building clients that talk to RT the most flexibility. But really,
use whatever makes sense to you. A Licensing Discussion (read: flamewar)
isn't something that really belongs on rt-devel. ;)

	Jesse