[rt-devel] Non perl-based RT access

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Jul 15 13:45:46 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:39:48AM +0100, Iain Price wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The absence of this in RT3 has become a real thorn in my side.  I've
> started to connect to the database and manually update things, but this is
> clearly not a great idea.

Right. We don't support that. or recommend that you do it. Not using the
API will cause you to hurt yourself rather badly.

> Firstly, any real ETAs on getting even beta access to some command line
> tool or anything, particularly something that will either add users or
> support the auto-create-user on ticket submission thing.

As mentioned on the list yesterday, a beta version fo the CLI will
appear in the next release of RT (3.0.5) and is already in the
repository.

> My current sticking issue is User creation.  Having analysed various diffs
> I still end up with RT thinking my user is a group.  Probably something to
> do with not creating the Group Equiv entry... but again its not clear to
> me how the entire database holds together... each table is reasonably
> understandable, however there appear to be a *lot* more groups than i
> would have ever expected :)
>
> Basically having screwed up the test RT development platform we have here
> several times I've realised even if i made a user creation routine that
> seemed to work I wouldn't trust it to not come back and bite me in the ass
> in a few weeks... and recovering the db when i dont understand the
> structure is not something i want to do.

Why not write a simple perl program that uses the API to create a user?

> So i'm considering forging a message to the mail receiver from the user,
> then finding and 'hiding' the ticket, so the perl RT api does the user
> creation.
>
> My questions therefor are :)
>
> 1) Any ETA on any kind of non-perl access to RT

See above.

> 2) Any technical information on the database structure, theoretical
> 'algorithms' for adding users to the databases etc - more the
> relationships between the tables than the individual table structure

Not in a form that would be useful to you.

> 3) When / if i break tables like the cachedgroupmembers table, or I forget
> to add a group entry for a user (hence making RT think a user is a messy
> group or similar :S) are there any repair tools for reconstructing some of
> the 'duplicated' data

No. Patches are welcome.

> 4) Any better ideas for getting users into RT for now than this 'ticket
> submission' thing? :P

Yep. see above.