[rt-devel] Long attachments timeout

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 15:35:25 EDT 2003

--- Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:
> [Please do not send mail to rt-devel and rt-bugs at the same time, as
> people replying will create new ticket after new ticket. If you need to,
> mail to rt-bugs and get a ticket id and then use that in the subject of
> both messages]

ok, sorry for that.

> > After the mail body is passed to Apache, the mail handler takes few minutes
> > to process the long attachment. During this post-processing, HTTP POST
> > operation is not yet finished, and Apache returns error 500 after 300 seconds
> > (the default Timeout value).
>
> Minutes? That surprises me. What database? That sounds like you have
> something badly mistuned.

I didn't have time to investigate in depth, but here's what I've got:

"cat longmessage.mime | rt-mailgate" takes approx. 60 seconds for 2.5 Mb message.
But when I send it via MTA, it never leaves the mailqueue, with the deferred message
as described before. I'll try to get more output in a more relaxed time.

Probably this is partly apache/mod_perl bug.

 > > I think the mail handler should finalize the HTTP session before starting
> > to process the message body.
>
> You mean that the server should tell the client "Ok, I've recorded the
> message, you're done" before it has done so? That's a very, very bad
> idea. That could easily result in lost messages.

ok, wrong idea. But how can I track it and get more clue on what's going on
during the mail delivery?

Stan