[rt-devel] mason_data and session_data, cache or lib?

John Stoffel stoffel at lucent.com
Thu Jun 5 10:06:04 EDT 2003

Stephen> We chose the request-tracker3 name as there is already a
Stephen> package called request-tracker (version 2 of RT) and we
Stephen> needed to make the distinction clear. We also chose to use
Stephen> the long name in the directory names so that it's clear to
Stephen> sysadmins what the directory is for and which package it is
Stephen> associated with.

I'd still rather see rt3 instead.  Or better yet, rt-<version>, since
you might want to have multiple versions installed at the same time.

Stephen> As the RT libraries are architecture independent
Stephen> /usr/share/rt would be better than /usr/lib/rt, certainly in
Stephen> Debian we would use /usr/share for them.

I think /usr/lib/rt-<version> is the best place, since I'm not really
sure that *all* the various perl libs are arch independent, esp the
DBI::, Digest::, etc.  Take a look at tools/testdeps and see what I
mean.

In any case, I think you need to put the VERSION of RT into the
$prefix.

Stephen> Thanks for the comments,

No problems.