[rt-devel] Re: I18N with Perl 5.6.1 and Solaris 8

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Tue Mar 4 19:36:14 EST 2003

(Cc'ing the knowledgable folks at -unicode)

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:58:06AM -0800, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> Looks like it was blocked because of the size.
> Here's the message again, without attachment:

Hi there.  I suddenly remembered why there was a Encode.pm instead
of Just Use Iconv...  Because iconv on each platform are all different,
as pointed out in the Text::Iconv manpage:

NOTES
       The supported codesets, their names, the supported conver-
       sions, and the quality of the conversions are all sys-
       tem-dependent.

> > In Solaris, iconv is sensitive to the charset name. It looks up
> > the filenames in /usr/lib/iconv/ for the corresponding from-to pair, and
> > issues error if there's no such file. See the whole directory listing, attached.
> > From the listing, you can see that:
> > Latin1 is recognized as "ISO8859-1" or "8859-1" instead of "iso-8859-1",
> > Unicode is recognized as "UTF-8" instead of "utf-8",
> > Cyrillics is recognized as "KOI8-R" or "koi8-r" (interesting (8^))

I think I'll do a fuzzy match against the supported names, if there
is a way to do that.  Is iconvlist(3) support on Solaris?  Or must
I fall back to `iconv -l`?

Another thought is to use GNU Recode on machines which should have
an unified set of character names.  I don't know if recode simply
forces you to use GNU libiconv, though...

> > I'll be glad to perform the tests if there's any update from Autrijus.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks,
/Autrijus/