[rt-devel] First impression Re: RT 3.0.0 Release Candidate 1

Lorens Kockum rt-dev-id-48 at lists.lorens.org
Sun Mar 16 19:00:19 EST 2003

These are my notes from installing RT 3.0 from scratch, from
someone who hadn't touched RT since 1.0.7 . . .

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 12:58:24PM -0500, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> --
> http://www.bestpractical.com/rt  -- Trouble Ticketing. Free.

Just for laughs, I suppose you envisaged

http://www.bestpractical.com/rt  -- Free Trouble-Free Trouble Ticketing
http://www.bestpractical.com/rt  -- Trouble Ticketing, Free & Trouble-Free

:-)

OK, so it's not quite trouble-free, just almost:

Manual lacks an example for httpd.conf and fastcgi the way it
has for mod_perl. Found

http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-doc-workers/2001-October/000036.html

which is not bad but I would have liked a pointer to using
FastCgiIpcDir (Apache directive, place probably anywhere after
LoadModule/AddModule, defines location of FastCgi temporary
files).  OK one shouldn't be installing FastCgi for the first
time while installing RT for the first time :-)

The dependency scripts don't scream that suidperl is absent,
had to figure that out by googling for the httpd error message.
Isn't that easy to test for?  And yes, I know it's a FAQ, I've
seen it often enough on the lists, but no I did not recognize it
when it was under of my nose.

Also (for the Google record),

Can't locate {snip install path}/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm in
@INC (@INC contains: {snip install path}/lib {snip install
path}/local/lib {snip other paths NOT including install
path/etc} ) at {snip install path}/lib/RT.pm line 105.
Compilation failed in require at
{snip install path}/bin/mason_handler.fcgi line 28.

Just wrong permissions on RT_SiteConfig.pm, grrr.  Wasn't
readable as the unprivileged users apache and RT were running
as, had created it as root. Wouldn't it be a good idea to
follow or replace the "-f" at lib/RT.pm:104 by something that
tests readability?  Crash screaming something understandable
if RT_SiteConfig.pm exists but is not readable?  Perl's error
message is far from understandable!

Well, that *certainly* wasn't much, and most of it me not really
knowing what I was doing 8-D  Congratulations!

HAND
--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum