[rt-devel] Can't get my head around UTF

Lorens Kockum rt-dev-id-48 at lists.lorens.org
Wed Mar 19 21:03:16 EST 2003

I've been trying to track down some ISO-8859 vs. UTF-8 problems.

When I installed RT3 I set outgoing mail to ISO-8859, and
configured most things, like AutoReplies. Problems with outgoing
mail being in UTF-8 but the Content-Type being ISO.

Tried to change back, neglecting the auto-repiles for the
moment.

I'm sending mail to a queue and looking at mail received by
queue AdminCC.

Still problems. Decided to play with @EmailInputEncodings
$EmailOutputEncoding (well, there are only two or three values
to play with -- I would like ISO-8859-15 for the currency sign).

Got things the other way around (outcoming mail being ISO but
Content-Type being UTF-8)...

Using fastcgi, first apachectl graceful, then stopping and
starting server between changes. After some time using fixed
manually encoded/checked files sent directly to smtp server to
eliminate sending MUA from problem list.

Looking at Autoreplies entirely iso (model plus transaction
content) but labelled utf, when original mail was utf, made
me think that mabe some magic was looking at the beginning,
converting transaction content and forgetting label, but then I
manage to get one that has utf content and utf label in spide
of iso model... that's good! But it didn't survive an apache
stop/start.

What have I broken? Are there indicators *in* the database
(except for text like templates)? Does FastCgi need more than an
apache stop-start to . . . I don't know where to look.

If anyone has any clues, I'd appreciate it greatly. French is no
*fun* without accents.

G'night all.

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum