[rt-devel] Postgres, bytea and my ruined evening.

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Mar 19 21:28:09 EST 2003

After extensive discussions with the current developer of DBD::Pg
(Thanks, David!), I've come to the conclusion that re-engineering our
database independence layer to support bytea is a medium/big fix that
has scary performance implications. Thankfully, we never got around to
storing raw binary data in the bytea fields that we use. So, it's back
to "text" columns instead of "bytea".  (At the same time, I added a
field "LastUpdated" to the in-database session cache, which will make a
lot of people happy a month or three from now.)

Can someone from the Postgres camp grab

http://fsck.com/aegis/aegis.cgi/rt.3.0.C26.tar.gz?file@aetar+project@rt.3.0+change@26

and tell me if it deals better?

	-j