[rt-devel] Postgres, bytea and my ruined evening.

Philip Warner pjw at rhyme.com.au
Thu Mar 20 18:29:28 EST 2003

At 03:25 PM 20/03/2003 -0500, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>Also, for the upgrade instructions, what's the recommended postgres
>procedure for "dump all data, _but not the schema_ from this database to a
>file on disk and then reload it"?

For 7.2 or less (as well as 7.3 if you want to):

     pg_dump -D -a rt-database-name > dump.sql

(-a is a data-only flag).
(-D says to use column-inserts in case column order changes).

For 7.3:

     pg_dump -a rt-database-name > dump.sql

the only advantage of this version is that it is faster for large volumes
of data -- but because columns may have changed order (or new columns may
have been added), it will only work in 7.3+

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|