[rt-devel] Numeric values for Requestors

Matt Disney disney at ece.utk.edu
Wed Nov 5 14:28:13 EST 2003

During some testing of our RT system, we were putting in numeric values
for the Requestors. Not on purpose, just because we weren't paying any
attention to the bogus values we were putting in. That produced some
interesting (and inconvenient) results.

I am using RT3.0.4pre1 on RH9 with Apache 2.0.47, mod_perl 1.99_09, and
perl modules current as of last Wednesday.

Whenever we put in a ticket with a value of "3" for Requestors, all the
Users within RT were added as Requestors for that ticket. Putting the
numbers 1 and 2 instead result in no Requestors being added. The number
4 adds a shorter list of Requestors than the number 3, while the number
5 does apparently the same thing as 3. But 6 is okay. The number 100
resulted in one of the Users being added as the Requestor, but not the
user with the ID 100. Putting in "3 at 3" does the Right Thing by making
"3 at 3" a Requestor.

I looked at Ticket_Overlay.pm but couldn't really see that there is any
kind of mapping between IDs and users occurring at ticket creation time.
However, I am using WebExternalAuth.

Would anyone consider this expected behavior? If so, how?

Luckily, I don't think we have to worry too much about people putting in
an email address of a number. But this issue has caused me some
embarrassment as I accidentally spammed everyone that my RT has ever
received an email from.

If you think this issue could be related to some configuration details I
omitted, please let me know and I'll be glad to look that information up
and share it.

Thanks in advance,

Matt Disney
IT Administrator