[rt-devel] Code Overlays

G. Richard Bellamy rbellamy at pteradigm.com
Wed Nov 12 13:28:43 EST 2003

Using the default install path, which path would a code overlay for
EmailParser.pm go in?

[1] /opt/rt3/lib/EmailParser_Local.pm
[2] /opt/rt3/local/lib/EmailParser_Local.pm

Also, would I only be putting the sub that I am trying to modify in the
EmailParser_Local.pm, or does the _Local.pm copy completely trump the
original file? From Jesse on the release of 3.0.0 RC1:

"	* RT even easier to extend than ever before: The API is much
	  better documented, the web interface includes a new
"Callbacks"
	  mechanism to let you embed your own components without
touching
	  a line of RT's source code. The core libraries include a new
	  "Overlay" system to let you override RT's core functionality
	  at the subroutine level."

This seems to indicate the former condition - and that's what I remember
from the training, I'm just a little confused, and am looking for some
guidance.

Thank you for your attention.

G. Richard Bellamy
Enterprise Solution Architect