[rt-devel] Question about extending

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:37:18 EST 2003

>you actually want to use either callbacks or "overlay" html files in
>your local/html tree to override the core versions.
>
>	-j

  Are there any docs about how to do this?  I did check what
  docs I could find, as well as the list archive. I must
  not be looking in the right place.

  I understand overalys for lib/RT/*.pm from reading the code.
  They enable me to replace (or add) perl code on a per-subroutine
  basis.  But the way I read the html overlays, I'd have
  to overlay the core code on a per-file basis.  That's
  only marginally more attractive then using cvs to track
  changes and actually replacing the core code when I upgrade.

  Unless I change a bit of the core code to call out to new
  code I write in the local tree.  Which is what I presume
  the existing callbacks do?  Is there a list of existing
  callbacks, with defaults and intent?  And if I change
  the core code to add more callbacks, I'm back to putting
  those changes into overlays?

     bobg