[rt-devel] Re: RT/apache creating many directories in /tmp

bill at daze.net bill at daze.net
Wed Nov 19 13:24:57 EST 2003

> Hi, I'm currently running RT 3.0.5 on a redhat 9 machine with apache
> 1.3.  I am getting a ton of directories left in /tmp which apache/rt
> never cleans up, so I have to do so manually.  The directories are owned
> by apache and have names like:
> 0ycv4AVG3W
> 13d27J4urr
>
> The directories seem to be created when a new email is sent to the RT
> address and a ticket is created (although I'm not positive on this).  In
> my searches around the lists I've found a couple of scripts to help
> clean these directories up, but I haven't seen any type of patch for RT
> to prevent the directories from being created.  Has this been addressed
> in a newer version than 3.0.5?

I discovered this the hard way.  I ran out of room for temp file entries
and all RT-destined tickets started bouncing.

I'm using RT 3.0.4 and FreeBSD 4.7.  FreeBSD includes a feature to clear
/tmp daily.  It is disabled by default.  I turned it on and my problem was
solved (using the bandaid approach).  You might want to check and see if
redhat has a similar feature.

For reference, in FreeBSD 4.7 I have a /etc/periodic.conf file containing:

# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/periodic.conf.
# This file contains overrides from /etc/defaults/periodic.conf.
daily_clean_disks_enable="YES"           # Delete files daily
daily_clean_tmps_enable="YES"            # Delete stuff daily
daily_clean_tmps_ignore=".X*-lock quota.user quota.group mysql.sock" # Don't delete these

-Bill

--
 <=> ASK and you shall receive <=>