[rt-devel] RT.pm with multiple instances and FastCGI

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Tue Nov 25 10:04:46 EST 2003

>Dan Shearer wrote:
>> What? Hardcoded? Yep, because in /usr/share/perl5/RT.pm I find:
>>
>> $BasePath = '/usr/share/request-tracker3';
>
>You'll need to "./configure" RT with a different directory/layout
>for each of the instances.

   I got multiple instances working yesterday without needing to
   re-run configure. I had to patch RT.pm, webmux.pm and
   rt-setup-database, but the changes are minimal and don't
   affect normal operation.  They just allow specifying
   the directory tree and path at run time, rather than build time.
   But the build time values are the defaults.

   I'll submit the patches to Jesse in a few days, once I run
   some more tests just to be sure I haven't made any gross errors.

   This will allow me to install multiple versions of RT
   (e.g. 3.0.6 and 3.0.7) in different directories, and have
   lots of instances (each with its own mysql database on the same server),
   so that 10 departments could each have an instance.  Each instance
   provides its own directory tree; each tree must have its
   own RT_SiteConfig.pm, but may also have its own local files
   for overlays and callbacks.

   The idea is to use fastcgi, one server for each RT instance.
   And the association of fastcgi server with RT instance is
   governed solely by the apache config.

      bobg