[rt-devel] extending rt3 classes? (fwd)

Alex Porras alex at mediaocean.com
Thu Oct 9 14:54:30 EDT 2003

Sorry, I forgot to include the list.

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, darren chamberlain wrote:

> * Alex Porras <alex at mediaocean.com> [2003-10-09 13:18]:
> > Can someone point me to some documentation for extending rt3 classes?
>
> The *_Local.pm files are where you would add your local changes.  If
> the _Local.pm file doesn't exist, you can simply make it.  The end of
> each .pm file has something like:
>
>         eval "require RT::Tickets_Local";
>         if ($@ && $@ !~ qr{^Can't locate RT/Tickets_Local.pm}) {
>             die $@;
>         };

I did notice that.  Maybe I'm confused with the purpose of the _Overlay
and _Local structure.  If I don't want the functionality to affect tickets
themselves, how would I do that?  With subclassing, I could create a class
just like ticket and have the web inteface use it, and ticket would be
left alone.  However, if I create Ticket_Local.pm it will also affect the
parts that use Ticket.pm.

--Alex