[rt-devel] Sorting lists in RT?

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Sun Oct 12 03:36:49 EDT 2003

Ross Patterson wrote:
> We're new to RT here , and in working with the 3.0.5 web interface we've been
> surprised at how many unsorted lists there are, especially in the admin
> interface.  Things like rights-lists for users, or the users themselves,
> etc., some of which can get large enough that hunting for a specific item
> would be "fun".  Is this by design or just the current state of affairs?  If
> we were to go about changing these lists to be display sorted, would the
> patches be welcome?

I'd suspect that it's just the current state of affairs, and patches
would be welcome. :-)

> On a related point, what's the preferred technique for sorting?  In some
> cases, the Perl code sorts an array of retrieved database items, in other
> cases the items are retrieved using an OrderBy() call.  Is there One True
> Way, or is RT sorting-agnostic?

Anything that ISA RT::SearchBuilder should probably be ordered
using its OrderBy() method.
--
Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, http://www.SnapGear.com
pdh at snapgear.com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630