[rt-devel] Mandatory Fields

Koos Pol koos_pol at nl.compuware.com
Fri Oct 17 05:29:24 EDT 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 10:28, Rehan van der Merwe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone implemented Mandatory Fields when updating a ticket?
>
> Scenario:  We want to force users to enter e.g. time "Worked:" value
> before updating/resolving a ticket.

Mandatory fields are a PITA. That is, from end-user perspective.
If they feel like it or have a reason to --and that moment *will* come-- they
will enter rubbish just to satisfy the "Sorry. This field is mandatory" form.
And from that moment on you've got junk data in your system.

Additionally, I personaly I find MF's extremely irritating. Ever filled up a
company car at a gas station and you were required to punch in the mileage?
Ever visited a braindead web registration form and were forced to enter a ZIP
code just for submitting an email question? Then you know what I'm talking
about

FAFIC MF's are "bugs" in the work policy.  You should educate your
managers/end users for a proper work policy. If you must use MF's limit it's
use to the fields which are part of the logic of the data structures. E.g.
there is not much point in selecting an item if you haven't entered it's id)

JMO.

Koos Pol
Release Engineering - Compuware Europe B.V.
T: +31 20 3116122  E: koos_pol at nl.compuware.com