[rt-devel] Spot the difference (attachment corruption)

Iain Price iain.price at post.serco.com
Tue Oct 28 07:24:27 EST 2003

Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:

> Iain Price wrote:
>
>> This one is good, i hope someone has experience and can just say 'oh
>> yeah do this' :)
>>
>> Having deployed rt3.0.5 i was unhappy to find my users couldn't do
>> attachments properly without corruption - especially as i had spent
>> so long testing it on my dev box.  Anyway after several days of
>> chasing dead ends i found out two things
>> 1) my 'dev' box isn't the same as my live box for some reason, the
>> dev box which works properly is running RH 8 while the live box is
>> running RH 9 (and smashes up attachments)
>> 2) the corruption consists of escaping top bit set chars (see below)
>> additionally to note
>> 3) both boxes are running the same copy of apache 1.3 manually compiled
>> 4) both boxes are running the same copy of mod_perl 1.26 manually
>> compiled
>> 5) same rt too, and both pass the rt-testdependancies --with-mysql
>> --with-modperl1 the same way - except
>> 6) Digest::MD5 on both boxes is out of date according to testdeps.  I
>> doubt this is the issue here, but the newer versions (the one
>> requested in testdeps and later ones) produce junk for a Makefile
>> when i do the usual perl Makefile.PL - maybe i did something wrong
>> but the Makefile has serious syntax errors, invalid labels,
>> unterminated strings, missing values for attributes, something very
>> wierd here - and on both RH8 and RH9 box :P
>
> You have UTF locale :( It's an FAQ for RH and Perl 5.8.0
> This break Digest::MD5 installation and many other things. So you have
> to absolutly change your locale settings to 'C' or something else that
> don't contain utf substring.

Doh, thanks, export LANG=C did the job fine for Digest::MD5 installation

> I don't know does it fix attachment corruptions or not, but it fix
> another random(look like random) problems.
>
> Also I think that locale change will also fix problem for you with
> attachments or may be not. Check.
>
> Jesse, please add check for locale settings under 5.8.0 with
> warning(or better stop installation until user change it).

Ok, this is the live box i cant touch this until this evening ... but
i'm not hopeful.  The Digest::MD5 wouldn't compile on either my dev or
live box, (dev=rh8, live=rh9), the LANG=C worked for the compilation on
both boxes, however the attachment error is only on the live RH9 box
(i.e. is specific to rh9 whereas the LANG=C applies to both rh8 and
rh9).... I guess more stuff on RH9 could be affected by the lang
setting, but i would be expecting a change that only needs to occur on
one host hehe :)

Anyway, i have my fingers crossed, if this does actally nail it, i think
we'll have everything here deployed and working as they (my managers)
want it :D

Let you know later, thanks for your help once again :)

Iain