[rt-devel] Severe Memory Leak

Simon Talbot simont at nse.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 12:33:39 EDT 2003

I am experiencing quite a severe memory leak with RT. We have the latest
version of RT (3.0.5) and the Latest RTFM (2.0.0RC4) installed on an
Apache Server version 1.3.27 with ModPerl1.

Perl is version 5.8.0 on kernel 2.4.20-18.7. with all pre-requisite
modules up to date as per installation scripts (all modules downloaded
within the last 2 weeks)

MySQL version mysql-max-4.0.15

The system is lightly loaded with perhaps 50 tickets in total. If a
browser is left with 'Support at a glance' page showing, and auto
refresh set to every 2 minutes, the system leaks memory every refresh --
anywhere between 100 bytes and 4 or 5k per refresh.

This slowly burns all physical memory, then starts to eat virtual memory
and eventually takes the server down.

If I do a stop of apache, wait a couple of minutes for the system to
stabilise and then re-start apache, lots of memory is returned to the
system

Has anyone else seen this/got any fantastic suggestions as to how I may
debug it ? It is clearly killing my users perception of RT as a reliable
system if the server keeps going down,

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Talbot MEng, ACGI