[rt-devel] Severe Memory Leak

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Sep 24 12:50:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:33:39PM +0100, Simon Talbot wrote:
> I am experiencing quite a severe memory leak with RT. We have the latest
> version of RT (3.0.5) and the Latest RTFM (2.0.0RC4) installed on an
> Apache Server version 1.3.27 with ModPerl1.

I'd be curious to hear if you can reproduce this with RT's fastcgi
handler. (Just so we can try to isolate the issue.)

Also, what modperl_1?

> The system is lightly loaded with perhaps 50 tickets in total. If a
> browser is left with 'Support at a glance' page showing, and auto
> refresh set to every 2 minutes, the system leaks memory every refresh --
> anywhere between 100 bytes and 4 or 5k per refresh.

Does constant reload of other pages trigger the same apparent leak?

> This slowly burns all physical memory, then starts to eat virtual memory
> and eventually takes the server down.
>
> If I do a stop of apache, wait a couple of minutes for the system to
> stabilise and then re-start apache, lots of memory is returned to the
> system

Well, that's always going to be the case, whether there's a leak or not.
Perl doesn't "return" memory to the system while a given process is
running.

> Has anyone else seen this/got any fantastic suggestions as to how I may
> debug it? It is clearly killing my users perception of RT as a reliable
> system if the server keeps going down,

In the meantime, why don't you tune-down the max # of clients that a
process serves before being recycled? That should free up memory that's
being leaked until we get to the bottom of what's going on.

	-j