[Rt-devel] Re: rt3.fsck.com has moved or dropping mail?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Apr 27 19:06:59 EDT 2004

> Well, IMHO the easier RT can be installed most widely it will be used.

The problem is that we run into people griping about how RT is broken
when the real issue is that they're using it on a different perl.

> Humm... a way of doing things might be to use version specif conditions...
> might not be the most elegant... but... it works...

*nod* having a "compatibility" module that wraps things that need it
would be very cool.  The idea in my head is that it would preload the
module we need to wrap and perform a bit of symbol table frobbery if
necessary for the running perl.

> I noticed that Encode::utf8_off() is used on other places... why?

A lot of it predates 5.8.3. Some of it is for using other modules and
systems that aren't utf8-friendly.

> Are perl 5.8.3 with a good UTF8 support? If so, it might be worth trying
> to do a perl upgrade...

Yeah, I'm _much_ happier with 5.8.3.  I don't object to doing things to
support older perls, but I worry about going to lengths to do so.