[Rt-devel] Re: rt3.fsck.com has moved or dropping mail?

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Tue Apr 27 19:37:06 EDT 2004

Paulo Matos wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
>

>>>Are perl 5.8.3 with a good UTF8 support? If so, it might be worth trying
>>>to do a perl upgrade...
>>
>>Recently released perl 5.8.4 has UTF speed up also.
>>Stable, but still there may be errors with UTF.
>>perl has error with join+UTF until 5.8.3, I don't think that you can
>>find all places where Encode utf8_off must be used.
>

> Well, for a start all modules used in RT should be reviewed for the buggy
> cases... (it mean we had to be positively sure when perl breaks) and then
> yes we could (with a reasonable amount of precision) cirurgically activate
> or deactivate the UTF8 flag.
>
> Where you have a strong point is if we think of the time to do it... If
> *we* (non-English people) doesn't do that, others won't have neither the
> need nor a great motivation to do it.
>
> I already had a fight years ago with iso-8859-* support... now is the
> "encoding world war II" with UTF8... god protect us all there's rummors
> that UTF16 will be the one... :)

I'm not going to help bugs counter growing with such changes. It's wrong
way. RT requires 5.8.x perl now. 5.8.4 is update release for this branch
and if you think that bug in perl not in RT just update perl and check.
It's not an upgrade.
If your distro developers don't fix errors then take refund.

I'm going to complain on p5p ML and follow fixes. May be someday I'll do
fix myself, now I can only send small bug report.

			Best regards. Ruslan.