[Rt-devel] Spreadsheet download - fixed columns

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 21 10:25:10 EST 2004

I noticed that on the search results page, the "spreadsheet" link yields a
fixed, hard-coded set of columns - not necessarily the columns that are
displayed on the page. This seems (to me) counter-intuitive - I would
expect to get a spreadsheet copy of what's on the screen. The fact that the
whole of the query (& format) string is passes to Results.tsv seems to
indicate that the spreadsheet columns should match the screen columns.

Anyway, my question is - what is the intent of the link? And if it does
behave as intended, would there be interest in a second download link that
gives a spreadsheet copy of the displayed search results? I have a .tsv
that does this that I could contribute.

[One thing I found in digging around this subject, is that Results.html &
Results.tsv use different mechanisms for retrieving data - and that the
Results.html data retrieval piece has html code embedded. It would be good
if all of the search-processing pieces could use a common data-retrieval
component that would be independent of presentation method. The
Results.html data retrieval seems to be the most flexible, and is what I
used to do my own .tsv page - but this would involve removing html
knowledge from the data retrieval]

Steve

Stephen Turner
Senior Programmer/Analyst - Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology (IS&T)

sturner at mit.edu