[rt-devel] How to add custom field

darren chamberlain dlc at sevenroot.org
Tue Mar 30 12:44:29 EST 2004

* Matthew D. Stock <stock at cse.Buffalo.EDU> [2004/03/30 12:25]:
> Paul Barmaksezian writes:
>  > I think this may solve another issue I posted (about resolving tickets
>  > via email).  I applied the patch, but not sure if it's working.  Where
>  > exactly do I specify something like "X-status: resolved"?  Is that in
>  > the body of the email or in the Subject or somewhere else?
>
> They're headers, and so you need them to be in the header block along with
> other headers like Subject and Date and so forth.  Adding headers may be
> difficult to do in some mail readers.  It's possible to do the parsing from
> the body, but it would make the code a lot more complex.  Given my
> target audience, I didn't think it was worth the bother.

I've always felt that the most appropriate way to handle setting attributes
via the mailgate was to create separate MIME parts for the body and
headers, and give the header part a content-type of
application/x-rt-headers (or something similar).  This is the same basic
approach as looking for X-status style headers, but more reliable,
simpler to implement, and harder to get wrong, since there are no
heuristics involved.  The user simply creates a separate file with the
attribute modifications, and attaches it.

(darren)

--
If history teaches us anything, it's that everyone will be part of the
problem, but not everyone will be part of the solution.