[Rt-devel] XUL interfaces

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Wed May 26 10:17:10 EDT 2004

That would be great! Or certainly interesting,
given that RT works pretty well as is.

Of course, I've never actually _written_ any XUL,
but I've read enough to ask dumb questions :-)

Firstly, XUL runs on the browser, but RT runs on the server.
I don't think you want to make direct calls to the database,
nor do you want to scrape html screens.  Both are too fragile.
You'll need a new communications protocol, similar to the
RT command line but over a network.

The protocol could be stateless, like http or SOAP,
in which case you'll have to do auth/auth on every call.
Or something with state, in which case you'll have to
cache and garbage-collect objects on a per-connection basis.
(And if you do cache objects, you have to make sure some other
process didn't change the underlying data during the caching.)

Are you planning some higher-level API? That way, a XUL client
could say "Retrieve all the info about all my queues and tickets
in a deep structure", or would you use a low-level api and break
that into many different calls?  (Maybe give each object
a remote-api?)

   bobg